My garden is awash with cucumbers but as they are great for juicing I am sure they will be all eaten up. The humble cucumber has many great health benefits some of which are listed below. If you can source organic then that’s a great bonus
- The humble cucumber is approximately 95% water but it’s water packed with vitamins and minerals. Just don’t peel your cucumber as the Vitamin C is found on the skin.
- Cucumbers are used topically to refresh tired eyes. Just cut a circle and place over closed eyelids – lie back and relax….
- They are great for treating constipation due to the water they contain and all that fibre. Vitamin C is also helpful for constipation so add in other Vitamin C rich fruits and veggies as well.
- Vitamin C works as one of the many antioxidants protecting the body from free radicals therefore lowering the risk of various cancers and illness due to damaged cells. Vitamin C has many important functions e.g. aiding collagen production making it great for the skin and brain function
- They contain a lot of silica which is great for joints and also for nail and hair health. The silica will help to alleviate gout and arthritic pain. The cucumber could be added to other veggies and fruits such as tumeric and pineapple to make a tonic drink to help alleviate these health problems.
- It is a great source of potassium and may be helpful when you retain fluid e.g. in hot weather.
- It’s a great weight loss food as it fills you up but adds a minimum of calories whilst doing so. It makes a great food to use for low calorie dips along with carrot and celery sticks.
- It’s a also great for teeth and gum health promoting healthy breath. Chew some and leave in the mouth for as long as possible as the he photochemicals present in cucumber help to kill the bacteria in your mouth which are responsible for bad breath.
- If you are prone to kidney stones (these can be very painful) regular intake of cucumber apparently helps to dissolve bladder or kidney stones.